Concessions for Seniors.
In Ministry of Railways regarding concession to Senior Citizens it was stated that with effect from 15-8-1998, the persons age 60 years or above shall be granted 30% concession and the concession shall be admissible in all classes and trains including Rajdhani/Shatabdi trains.
Separate reservation counters may be earmarked for the Senior Citizens.
Concessions By Transport Corporation
DELHI: 50% discount on fare for travel on Delhi Transport Corporation buses to senior citizens who have attained the age of 65 years. Discount is applicable on Monthly Pass only.
TAMIL NADU: In Tamil Nadu Transport Corporation buses, two seats in the front are exclusively reserved for old people.
MAHARASHTRA: Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) buses provide 50% concession in fare if a person is 65 years and above and has an election identity card or a Tehsildar certificate.
BEST buses in Mumbai offer no concessions. However senior citizens can enter the bus from the front.
LOCAL TRAINS in MUMBAI: Local trains in Mumbai have around 8-10 seats for the senior citizens in one of the compartments.
CHANDIGARH: Senior Citizens pass holders get 50% travel concessions for traveling in city buses in Chandigarh.
PUNJAB: Elderly women above 60 years enjoy free travel in Punjab.
RAJASTHAN: Rajasthan State Transport Corporation (RSRTC) provides a concession of 25% to a person of 65 years and above.
KERALA: Free passes are provided to old people who are freedom fighters to travel in fast and express buses.
Information true as of sep 2003)
Indian Air Lines 50% discount on normal rupee, adult fair for travel by Indian Airlines, Domestic Flights only to senior citizens who have attained the age of 65 years. Discount s applicable in economy class only. For permanent identify card two recent stamp size photographs and four-passport size photograph for one time journey is required.
50% discount on basic fare traveling in SAHARA airlines only is available for senior citizens who have attained the age of 62 years. Discount is applicable to economic class only.
50% discount on basic fare for traveling on jet-airways, domestic flights to senior citizens who have attained the age of 65 years. Here, discount is available to economic class.
View table on http://www.disabilityindia.org/table11.cfm
If you are eligible for any of these concessions please remember:
- Concessions are granted on basic mail / express fares irrespective of whether the passenger travels in mail or express or passenger train. No concession is granted on Ordinary fares and other charges like superfast surcharge, reservation fee etc.
- No concession is granted for travel in AC classes and on Rajdhani / Shatabdi trains, unless specially mentioned.
- Clubbing of two concessions is not allowed.
- Concessional ticket cannot be changed to a higher class even by paying the difference fare.
- No concession is granted for a journey, the cost of which is borne by Central / State Governments/ Local Bodies/ Corporations or government undertakings.
- Some of the concessions are admissible subject to minimum distance of journey, which have been specified in the relevant categories.
- All concessions are granted at stations/ reservation/booking offices. No concession is granted in trains.
Source : http://societyforservingseniors.satyamcsr.org/resources/Govt-policies-and-concessions/old-age-concessions.doc / http://www.disabilityindia.org/oldage.cfm